Thursday, September 04, 2014

Princess Diaries- Part3

I took a long pause, looked around at each and every face. There was pin drop silence and an eager anticipation on every second face.
I wished i could say i have to think about it but then my mom’s gaze pierced my skin and it actually hurt.

I smiled and nodded in approval and actually blushed.

The silence broke and everyone grinned, took pictures, stuffed sweets in each others mouths and when the excitement waned sat down peacefully and started discussing about the wedding date.
I was super-excited,they were discussing ‘my wedding’.
Suddenly i remembered,what was my first reaction when i saw him? I wondered if it was love at first sight.Maybe yes coz first time i saw him, the first feeling was a ‘wow’ and that probably means a super yes.
Finally all the discussions finished and they left saying they would call the next day to tell us the auspicious dates appropriate for the wedding which their priest would tell them.
As soon as they left i made a call to Richs and as expected she received the call in less than a rings time. She was more excited than me, partly coz i was going to meet my PC and partly coz she would be sure that no longer Raj would be after me.
I narrated the whole episode line to line to her but still she wasn't satisfied so she came home running in less than an hour carrying a box full of rasagullas.

‘Auntie, Congrats’ she yelled right from the porch and rushed inside the house to hug me and my mom.

‘OMG! U are looking stunning Kaju, how come u never showed this sari to me?

My dad left the room no longer interested in the girls talk.

Ur earrings matched perfectly, oh my! the locket is equally beautiful’

Richs warned me not to change so once she was done with the compliments,i changed into my pink shorts and daisy t-shirt.

We spoke and spoke till we were hungry, finished our lunch and again sat down discussing my wedding.
It was 9pm by the time Richs left our house and even then we had to part only looking at the time, our talk was still not finished.
The next day my pa-in-law(now its official) called up my pa and said that the wedding should be within a weeks time as Raghu had to leave to NYU in 10days.
My mom panicked and even i was short of breath. I knew the wedding would be sooner as i knew Raghu could not get a long leave and his vacation would end soon and he had to fly back in a months time but a week was too much.
Finally the date was fixed 12th Feb, 2days before my convocation, exactly 10 days from today.

All my close relatives were invited and everyone flew in, things started pacing up, the mandap was booked, caterers were arranged, flowers were flown in from different places, gifts were bought, almost all the arrangements were done much before the wedding.
Me and Richs only had to go for shopping and shopping and shopping. That was all we did for 1 full week, and we still wished there was more time for shopping. I went for the visa for the United States of America and was granted a dependent visa without much questioning.
Finally the day before my wedding a mehendi and haldi ceremony was organised.I was always particular about a big fat Indian wedding in bollywood style but given the time and keeping in view of my expectations my parents did their best and never gave me or my so called in-laws a chance to complain.

And then came the wedding. I was shockingly not scared, all the people around were scared and there was a lot of hustle and bustle. Complaints and nagging went on till the muhurat time.
Richs was busy getting me ready. All my other friends directly came to the mandap but Richa was there with me all the time and i loved her for that. I seriously would miss her as much as i would miss my parents once i go to New york.
More than the thought that i would miss my parents, i was excited to be going away with Raghu, though it was not the same as eloping, but even this was like running away from our families officially.

I was excited about everything, the mandap, the decoration, my wedding sari, jewellery, me being the centre of attraction, my Raghu(wow calling that way is cool..i can even call him Rags), me going to USA.
OMG i don't even remember the last time i went out of the city.

I entered the hall which was brightly lit and was smelling of lilies, tulips, roses, gerberas, orchids and sweet perfume which was being sprayed at the entrance by two well dressed ladies who were there to receive the guests.
The Muhurat was at 7pm and almost all the guests arrived by that time. The hall was packed and the ceremony started. I was totally lost and was not at all interested in what all mantras the pujari was chanting.
I was looking at my costume, adjusting my jewellery and my hair which was totally covered with flowers, occasionally glancing towards my Rags and frequently glancing towards Richs to get a thumbs up sign for my looks.
Finally after an hour or so the chantings stopped and the pujari asked us to exchange our garlands.

‘How come u never called me except during my interview in consulate?’ I suddenly remembered and asked Raghu.

To be Continued....

No comments: