Thursday, September 04, 2014

Princess Diaries- Part1

This was the day i have always dreamt of, of meeting my prince charming, ‘THE’ guy of my dreams, and my so called patidev,my hubby(if everything goes well..touch wood.....i don't know why i said touch wood,maybe coz i badly wanted this guy to be the one for me).
I couldn't sleep all night though i knew i would get under eye dark circles and would look horrible and so badly needed a sound sleep to look my best. But i couldn’t help it, my D day was here and sleeping was the last thing on my mind.
I kept imagining things to say to him, how i would react on seeing him( i always thought i should get bowled over the man il marry and viceversa...i always as a kid believed in love at first sight).

When i first saw the pic of the guy..oopsy my guy, i couldn't stop myself from smiling, i knew somewhere that this is the one, the one who has been disturbing me in my dreams day and night for over 10yrs( i guess so..coz i think I've been dreaming about my man since i was in secondary school).
I was wide awake in my room in my sheets but dint want to go out coz i never wanted to show i was too much enthusiastic to meet him.
I wanted my mom to come and wake me up like everyday but it was too late and she was nowhere to be even heard. I was getting apprehensive, may be they were not coming today, maybe they found some other girl and liked her so decided not to come to our house to check me out.
I used to always hate this concept of arranged marriage where in the guy and his parents come to the girls place,see her thoroughly and then tell their opinion after few days(the few days thing is always coz they want to show that it is their call,after all they were the boy’s side and they had the so called right to be the deciding factor for everything) and more than that i always thought i would find my man and elope with him..the thing i wanted to elope with him is not coz my parents wouldn’t approve of my marriage but coz i always wanted to run away with my man..that seemed cool..
’Bhaag ke shaadi karna’, so very hardcore bollywood types.

‘This is it, why isn’t mom coming to wake me up’

Curiosity was killing me.
I got up and directly went into the kitchen to find my mom busy with the breakfast and snacks. Finding her there with a frowned look on her face gave me a huge sense of relief, an indication that they were coming for sure.

‘Kajal beta, thank god u woke up, i was about to come over to ur room.
Please go and get ready without delay,they are coming in an hour.’ my mom said without even looking at me.

‘WTF!!its just 6, what are they coming for, an early morning satsang or what?’  I yelled at my mom.

‘U better ask ur hero all that, now don’t disturb me and get going, i don't want them to see u in ur shorts’

My mom never approved me of wearing shorts, she would either say its very boyish or would yell saying I've become shameless wearing dresses so short.
‘What are u saying mom?i was thinking of wearing my pink shorts and the daisy t-shirt to welcome them.’ ‘now where did i put that dress’ i said rushing away to take a shower hearing my mom’s whispers and nods of disapproval at my back.

Excitement got to my head in totality..i could hear my own heartbeat,it was as though i had tachycardia,i seriously dint want the guy to notice that and come sit see me as a patient and observe my pulse rate,cardiologists usually do that,as a dentist as i always observe people’s teeth more than their faces.
Finally my mom was done with her kitchen work and got dressed up in a nice orange pattu sari, my pa was already at the door in a black Armani suit anticipating their arrival at any moment. It was as though we were all heading for a wedding.

‘Aarghh!!!will someone look at me and tell me how i am looking’ I yelled at no one in particular.

Sensing my temper my mom and dad came running to my room and stood there in silence. I was wearing a baby pink chiffon sari,let my hair down and put on my best diamond earrings and pendant which my mom gifted me last year for my birthday. My mom without saying a word went to my dressing table took out kajal pencil and put me a ‘dhisti chukka’ behind my right ear, my dad came to me and kissed my forehead.

‘Come on guys, enough of ur signs and signals, i want actual verbal compliments.’

I lightened the mood as i could see my parents eyes fill up like an ocean, and my mom’s tears started to trickle down her face.

‘OMG mom, am i looking that horrible that ur crying?’ hearing this my parents laughed and gave me a tight hug which i needed badly.

Magically all the stress was warded off like the evil looks are warded off by the ‘dhisti chukka’ as my mom says.

‘OK now enough my filmy family, enough of the melodrama, lets go outside’ I said as i could hear a car screeching to a halt in front of our house.

My dad ran like a school kid late for his exams and my mom checked herself twice in the mirror(girls will always be girls even if we are 8 or 80) and went outside to join her husband to welcome their so called ‘damad’.

To be Continued.....

No comments: